Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Best linux distro for SAPGUI for Java based desktop client v2.0 (part 1)

From my previous posting on sapbasis.wordpress, I have clearly explain about how to search about best linux distro to use as SAPGUI for Java based desktop client. Well, I am SAP Basis and also linux distro is continue to grow on its version and quantity so I decide to write another posting about same topic which I called "Best Linux distro for SAPGUI for Java based client v2.0".

Right now, I am going to guide you about how to search linux distro and may I'll post another one. That's why I also gave part 1 on this posting headline :D
I'll re-post few words from my previous posting :

  • Must be able to run SUN java runtime environment.
  • Must have OpenOffice. The latest version will be better so you won't be bother with OO installation.
  • Having remote desktop so IT Support can gave fast support.
  • Fast linux distro installation would be great
  • Better support and documentation. Paid support, community support or both of them would be better.
  • Regular distro release
Also from this posting, I recommend Vector Linux 5.0 SOHO edition and Ubuntu.

I wan to update this posting information now. As you know that SUN finally has released Java code to be open source (although Sun own licensing) so almost all Linux distro has include SUN JRE on its release. Java license issue used to be major issue for major distro which only include GNU GPL-ed applications.

Linux distros also increasing from software quality and quantity. Ubuntu and OpenSuSE is most popular linux distro based on distrowatch view. Ubuntu derivatives such as Linux Mint gain greate popularity since it is include almost all linux user want such as restricted audio and video codec. Vector Linux also has done great job by releasing Vector Linux 5.9.1 SOHO edition. You'll get all application out of the box just in once installation.

For this moment, I recommend Linux Mint (the latest version is 5.0), Vector Linux (the latest version 5.9.1 SOHO edition), and OpenSuSE (the latest version is 11.0). All of this is the latest version when this review is written.

So, happy linux-ing your dekstop client and happy working with SAPGUI for Java

No comments: